Thursday, August 7, 2008

Info about the new trial drugs

Here is the email Josh just sent me about the trial in Tucson that he's going to start.

He flies out to Texas to see the surgeon on Monday. He has a friend named Chris (who also has DSRCT) that will pick him up and take him to the appt. He will also be staying with him while he's in TX. The surgeon that he's going to see is the same one who did Chris' surgery.

The new trial that I'm going to start is MKC1106-PP. It's a phase I trial that has already completed the "low dose" portion of the trial. I will be in the "high dose" trial. This drug targets 2 antigens found on some tumors PRAME and PSMA.
"PRAME is found in lung cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, renal cancer (kidney), pancreatic cancer, and colorectal cancer (colon and rectum) cells. PSMA was originally found in prostate cancer cells and later found also in the blood vessels which supply lung cancer, breast cancer, ovarian cancer, renal cancer, pancreatic cancer, colorectal cancer, and melanoma (skin cancer)."
Basically I'll get an IV shot and 2 shots directly into the lymph nodes in my groin (guided by sonogram) 2 times a week, every other week. I'll get the plasmid dose on days 1, 4, 15 and 18, and the peptides on days 29 and 32.
Possible side effects seem minimal: Headache, fatigue, joint pain, and soreness at the injection site. This drug does not attack all fast growing cells, just the targeted cells. This should keep my blood counts up so hopefully I'll start feeling better.

No comments: